Recover Nexus 9 lost in a boot loop
My old Nexus 9 tablet was caught in a boot loop: it would boot up, then freeze, reboot, freeze, ... until the battery was exhausted. The instructions at stackexchange helped a lot. Here is a summary of what I did:
- Download the latest OTA file from Google's Developper site. This is a zip file. Do not uncompress it.
- Reboot in Recovery Mode. For the Nexus 9, press the power and volume up buttons until a menu appears. Choose Recovery Mode.
- Once in Recovery Mode (recognisable by its Android mascot laying on its back), quickly press the Power Button and Volume Up to enter a hidden menu.
- Choose "Apply update from adb"
- On the computer, run "adb sideload <ota_file.zip>"
- After the update is done, choose "Reboot system now"